About Me

My photo
Author, film researcher and member of the Swedish Military History Commission.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Unidentified Submerged Objects in Norway

Fellow author and friend Roger Albrigtsen in Lakselv in Arctic Norway has sent me three photos I cannot really help him out with. Perhaps someone reading this blog can? I am therefore publishing these photos here, with permission from Roger.

The photos show two unidentified objects of which one, the carriage, is still submerged in a river by Lakselv:


Submerged carriage by Lakselv, presumably from the Wehrmacht. Underwater photo by local diver Odd-Bjørn Henriksen.


From another angle.

My guess is: part of a mobile German field kitchen. What do you think? Perhaps someone even knows the type?


This gasmask looks kind of Soviet 1930s to me. But I have been unable to identify it in my books about Soviet equipment. Does anyone recognize the model?

Please reply through the comments function of this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Simon :) I hope to salvage this next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lars,

    Hope you can read this. At first I thought the gas mask looked very much like an Italian Pirelli or one of its licenced copies, but the lack of a voice emitter soon ruled out that possibility. The mask is made from what seems to be a rubber-impregnated fabric of some sort, which definitely rules out the Soviet hypothesis (they used rubber for all their military anti-NBC equipment). The Swedish gas masks from the same period were rather more sophisticated than the example on your photo, so maybe it is German (large eye pieces); the Finnish M.38 is somehow similar, but has a voice emitter under a membrane. I will try to investigate it further.
    Kind regards,
    R. Vieira

    ReplyDelete