About Me

My photo
Author, film researcher and member of the Swedish Military History Commission.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

German Advance Into Swedish Estonia


German newsreel about the advance into one of Estonia's most Swedish parts, not far from Swedish Gotland.

I just stumbled upon this amazing Estonian website with then-and-now comparison photos from Dagö/Hiiumaa, one of the parts of Estonia most associated with Sweden.


The WWII photos are all taken from the above Wochenschau (German newsreel). I can imagine the amount of sweat behind those comparison photos, as I have done similar work.

But what I really was looking for was another Wochenschau from the same period, the fall of 1941, showing the Swedish Volunteer Battalion on the Finnish peninsula of Hangö. I am still lookig for it - tips are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment